In the software development realm, there are two types of testing: manual and automated. Although some prefer the manual testing methods for varying reasons, others find it a fairly wasteful practice as the tests require doing the same steps over and over again. That is why they resort to automated software testing methods.
Before we dig deep into this aspect of software development, let us first understand what test automation is.
What Is Test Automation?
Test automation is the process of running tests, managing data, and using results to improve the quality of software. Because it’s a critical quality assurance measure, it involves the participation and the commitment of the whole software production team.
Although possible, you can’t just decide on your own whether a software program being developed needs to be manually or automatically tested. There are certain criteria that should be followed to avoid wasting resources. Below is the general criterion for test automation:
- Repeatable – A test should be repeatable because there is no point in automating a test that can be run once.
- Determinant – When we say a function is determinant, it means that the result is the same every time the same input is provided. The same applies to tests that can be automated.
- Unopinionated – It is impossible to automate software testing based on matters of opinion. User feedback is essential, hence mustn’t be automated.
7 Popular Software Testing Automation Tools
Now, to perform software testing automation for any PC repair software tools or applications, there are many platforms and tools you can use. Unfortunately, we can’t list them all into this post. So, we’ll enumerate 7 of the most popular ones to give you a good start.
If you are developing applications for desktop and web, then LambdaTest is the best choice. With this tool, testers can perform manual and automated cross-browser testing on over 2000 mobile and desktop browsers. Plus, you can also perform tests for geo-blocking, geo localization, and geo-targeting across countries like Japan, United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, India, Canada, and more.
- 24/7 support
- Third-party integrations like Jenkins, Travis CI, and Circle CI
- Compatible with more than 2000 devices and browsers
- Cloud-based Selenium testing grid
- One-click bug logging with project management tools like Slack, Github, Asana, and JIRA
- Live interactive testing via the VM-hosted LambdaTest cloud
- Automated screenshot testing
ACCELQ is another cloud-based codeless test automation tool that seamlessly automates web and API testing to achieve continuous testing in an enterprise setup. It’s been known as one of the leading automated software testing tools out there because it allows API and UI end-to-end validation, offers quality lifecycle management and automates testing without requiring testers to write a single line of code.
- AI-based test automation for fast-paced software development setups
- 3x faster test development
- Low maintenance for test automation assets
- Salesforce test automation
- Support for API, web, database, microservices, and a lot more
- Seamless support of Salesforce lightning
- Flexibility in handling complex automation
A free end-to-end automated software testing platform for API, mobile, and web testing, Test Project is backed by a strong community of loyal users. According to Gartner, the world’s top research and advisory company, this is a top-rated tool that allows you to create and run tests on Linux, macOS, Windows, and Docker, as well as install and manage dependencies and drivers.
- Advanced scripting SDK
- Cloud test storage
- More than 200 community-powered add-ons
- Scriptless test recorders for non-techie users
- Integrated with BrowserStack, Jenkins, Slack, SauceLabs, and more
- Free to use
4. QMetry Automation Studio
A popular software automation tool built using Eclipse IDE and open-source frameworks like Appium and Selenium, QMetry Automation Studio takes pride in efficiency, reusability, and structure in automation efforts. This tool supports complex automation strategies with coded automation. It also allows teams to transition from manual to automated in a seamless manner as it does not require automation methods that require scripts.
- Supports mobile native, web, micro-services, web services, and mobile web components
- Deep integration with CI/CD, JIRA, and automation tools
- End-to-end test management
- Scalable and secure
- Designed for DevOps
- High traceability
- Visible linkages to test assets
- Version control to run multiple cycles and releases in parallel
- Comprehensive dashboards and reports for an informed automated testing
- Granular project analytics and reporting
- Web recording and playback
A cloud-based and no-code automated software testing platform, Subject7 supports end-to-end automation for desktop, web services, security, mobile, desktop, accessibility, and security testing. Its user interface allows testers to create robust test flows with minimal support or training. Users of this platform include enterprises of all sizes, as well as major government agencies.
- High-scale parallel execution in a secure private cloud, public cloud, or hybrid environment
- Flexible reporting of persistent defects with video
- Seamless integration with Jenkins, GitHub, JIRA, and other DevOps pipeline tools
- Simple and non-metered pricing
- Scales to thousands of steps
- Allows collaboration, tracking, and project management
A codeless Selenium test automation tool, TestCraft is backed by a revolutionary AI technology. This allows the fast creation of test cases while eliminating the need for test maintenance. With this tool, testers can craft fully automated test cases even without scripts or coding. Also, customers can easily find bugs and release more frequent updates. It can also be integrated with CI/CD to improve digital product quality.
- No coding skills required
- Reduced maintenance costs
- Developed by the community
- Easy to master
- Nothing to install
A modern 3-in-1 software testing automation solution, Qualibrate changes the way teams test and document their SAP and web applications. It’s a handy tool in generating training documentation for end-users. In addition, it is designed to make software testing automation simple and accessible for non-technical users.
- Allow teams to keep documentation
- Simple tool design that can solve complex software testing scenarios
- Powerful and seamless reporting
- Can be integrated with JIRA, GitLab, Jenkins, and GitHub
The Bottom Line
Software testing automation plays a critical role in improving the quality of a software program, be it an anti-malware software, a PC repair, or a Mac cleaning tool. But you can’t just perform automated software testing without investing in software testing tools. After all, a project’s success will greatly rely on the tool being used. So, choose the right one based on your project’s requirements.
Have we missed out a popular tool here that you think can help in automated software testing? We welcome your ideas and suggestions below!
This article was provided to us by SoftwareTested.com >
You may also find these posts interesting: