The technology it today an integral part of the automotive industry. Automotive software solutions help companies improve the performance, safety, and overall driving experience of their vehicles, but also streamline and optimize their internal operations. That’s why automotive makers partner with software development companies like Codete to develop functional software systems and gain a competitive advantage in this rapidly changing industry.
Read on to find out how companies take advantage of IT software solutions for the automotive industry, what to expect from a development team in this field, and what successful implementations look like.
Best software solutions for the automotive industry
Automotive software solutions come in many shapes and sizes. Some of the most popular types of systems automotive companies are currently building are:
- Navigation – this type of software provides drivers with directions and other tips to help them reach their destination safely and quickly. Navigation solutions are embedded in a satellite navigation device that determines the current position of the car.
- Car safety – software designed to improve car and road safety thanks to features such as prevention of collisions and accidents through notification or control of the vehicle (automated lighting, automated braking).
- Entertainment – this type of implementation combines hardware and software that provide audio and video entertainment inside the vehicle. It often provides drivers with Bluetooth connectivity, Wi-Fi, and hands-free control.
- Autopilot software – following recent trends and innovations, automotive makers are now focused on manufacturing vehicles that are fully autonomous or partially self-driven.
- Data science – vehicles can produce and collect massive amounts of data to enable automated analysis. Car sensors gather detailed information such as speed, distance, emissions, resource usage, fuel consumption, and driving behavior. Automotive makers can make sense of this data and by developing a predictive analytics solution that generates meaningful insights.
At Codete, we collaboration with automotive innovation labs that need IT consulting services and skilled development teams that can implement Proof-of-Concept projects. Such collaborations require domain knowledge, flexibility, data science, and machine learning skills, as well as R&D expertise.
Partner with a technology company to create automotive software solutions
At Codete, we have supported automotive industry companies with software development and data science services to help them a head start in their digital transformation journey.
When choosing a technology provider, companies should make sure that the development team has previous experience in delivering software solutions for this sector. Our teams have ample experience in providing bespoke full-stack solutions and consultancy services suited for the unique requirements of the automotive industry.
Another critical factor is the focus on the right technology. Data science is a key area of expertise for automotive software providers. Data gathering, processing, and analytics are the usual requirements for logistics and supply chain optimization programs. You need to partner with a company that offers a targeted software development and consultancy services dedicated to automotive clients, including services such as data architecture and analysis, innovative technologies such as machine learning, and expertise in areas like connected vehicle infrastructure.
The automotive industry is currently a field of groundbreaking research and innovative technologies research. To address the needs of this rapidly evolving sector, software development companies set up internal Research and Development departments.
For example, at Codete we have created a group of senior and lead-level IT engineers experienced in the smart transportation industry, as well as data science academics. They make up the core of any dedicated development team assigned to our automotive projects, with all the necessary skills already on board: data science, software architecture design, mobile/web development, QA testing, graphic design, and UI/UX design.
When hiring a software development team, expect these three things:
Different cooperation models
Every automotive company has different needs and requirements when it comes to outsourcing software development. Experienced technology providers should address them in their outsourcing offer.
For example, at Codete we set up independent, cross-functional, and project-dedicated teams – but also provide organizations with a loose collective of experts who join already existing teams. To deliver value to our clients, our experts collaborate on-site or off-site.
Flexibility and scalability
Automotive software development teams need to be fully flexible and scalable, offering clear collaboration terms, quick onboarding process, and adjustable-team-size. To meet the demands of this industry, we provide our clients with all that, including round-the-clock access to business experts and skilled engineers.
End-to-end product delivery
Experienced software providers can take over the product ownership entirely or support specific project phases means that versatile dedicated teams with in-depth business-relevant expertise close at hand can kick in at any time, on any stage – from audit, business goals understanding, through conceptualization and design, development, testing, and to product deployment phase.
Automotive industry success stories
The South Korean automotive maker approached us because they needed help in choosing the technology stack for their project. The company was looking to implement a number of innovative functionalities that required the right technological solutions – among them, an Augmented Reality (AR) application.
We set up a dedicated development team responsible for establishing how each functionality could be executed technically and created a technology stack. Kia then commissioned our team to create a multiscreen augmented reality (AR) application dedicated to authorized dealers of Kia Motors. We delivered a cutting-edge mobile app with captivating UI. Dealers could now present galleries, 3D models, and movies to provide a rich sales presentation to every customer.
Porsche was looking for a technology partner with advanced technical expertise to help them deal with outdated machine learning models. Maintaining two technology stacks and architectures – one for the main tools and one for machine learning – required a lot of the effort, adding additional costs, and lead to more issues with the overcomplicated setup.
Our team created a machine learning converter that allowed Porsche to reuse older, battle-tested machine learning models and adapt them to new technologies. The DLConverter translates a model from one framework to another without any extra work. Porsche can replace all of the obsolete, legacy models with ones that are more modern and match current tech stack better.
Looking into the future of automotive
In the last few years, the automotive industry has collaborated hand-in-hand with expert technology companies to deliver the safest and most comfortable vehicles out there. Cars are now equipped with technologies such as better fuel efficiency, advanced emergency braking capabilities, or even mapping technologies that enable autonomous driving.
In the near future, the sector is expected to progress even further, taking another few steps in the direction of a truly connected and digitized environment.
Here are 4 critical future technology trends for the automotive industry:
- Focus on fuel-efficiency – electric and hybrid vehicles are booming, and they’re here to stay. As more automotive makers implement electric vehicle technology, this trend is going to become only more prominent.
- Predictive analytics – predictive capabilities are becoming more significant in personalizing the driving experience. Manufacturers will use data science solutions that automate the process of setting up a vehicle (from application preferences to the infotainment system). Sensors installed inside the car will inform owners whether it needs servicing and inform users of any safety hazards linked with company recalls.
- Autonomous vehicles – many companies have been testing self-driving vehicles on open roads, but there’s still a long way left to the adaptation of this technology on a large scale. Some cars already have semi-autonomous capabilities: it’s the driver-assisted technologies like automatic-braking sensors, self-parking capabilities, adaptive cruise control, and cameras.
Automotive software solutions are a fast-growing segment of the automotive industry. Manufacturers who don’t want to stay behind invest in innovative software that brings them a significant competitive advantage.
Are you looking for a team of technology experts with experience in the automotive industry? Reach out to our consultants; we help automotive companies make the most of innovative technologies.