The market of mobile applications has been growing at an increasing pace over the last decade, and it’s not going to stop anytime soon. By 2020, mobile apps will generate around $189 billion in revenues through app stores and in-app advertising.
To compete on the market, smart businesses invest in the latest mobile technologies to build mobile applications that engage customers and streamline their operations.
Read on to find out how partnering with a mobile app development company can take your business to the next level.
Why is mobile app development important for businesses?
Mobile apps offer businesses some undeniable advantages that position them for success in both short- and long-term timeframes:
- Higher operational efficiency – organizations are investing in internal mobile applications to help employees stay productive on the go and enable them with greater flexibility. For example, companies are using mobile apps in areas such as sales, inventory control, project management, and business intelligence. Mobilizing business workflows has proven to be a critical strategy for companies that want to avoid limiting business processes because their employees can only access online tools at their desks.
- Increase in revenue – mobile apps help companies optimize their internal processes, but they’re also used externally to engage customers and drive revenue. Criteo’s Global Commerce Review revealed that in most world regions, mobile now accounts for more than 50% of online transactions – and in-app sales dominate that landscape.
- Driving engagement – businesses that build their own mobile apps can be sure that users who download it will be reminded of their brand every time they swipe their screens, which is multiple times a day. Companies use business apps for sending timely and well-segmented notifications, offering loyalty programs and enabling direct communication – all geared at driving customer engagement.
What technologies are used for developing mobile apps?
Companies looking to develop a mobile app need to first decide on the target platform: iOS or Android. Apple’s environment accounts for a large segment of the market. Developing for iOS is a little more challenging, but the advantage of this platform is its integration, homogeneity, and an audience more willing to spend money on in-app purchases or apps in general.
Businesses choose Android because it dominates the mobile market with its 80%+ market share. However, the heterogeneity of Android versions can make development and maintenance problematic.
At Codete, we use various technologies to develop mobile apps for our clients. We help them choose the best technologies, show the pros and cons of native vs. hybrid apps, and advise on which solution to use with the future development of the application in mind.
Here are some of the technologies we use to build mobile products for our clients:
- React Native
Developed by Facebook, React Native has gained a strong foothold on the technology scene thanks to one massive benefit: code reusability. Developers don’t have to develop a separate mobile app for each platform, but integrate 90% of the native framework for reusing code. That means significant cost savings for companies looking to develop apps for both iOS and Android.
This open-source programming language was created by Apple in 2014. Its key advantages are top speed and performance. Swift’s syntax encourages developers to write clean and consistent code, preventing errors and improving readability.
Kotlin was created by developers who needed a language that would address the limitations of Java while ensuring top performance. Kotlin allows developers to write less code and solves some common development problems. It’s also fully compatible with Java.
Unity is a top technology for cross-platform game development thanks to its rendering, scripting, and asset tracking features. It effectively reduces the time and cost of game development and offers development teams the flexibility to deploy projects on multiple platforms.
Flutter makes mobile development faster and more dynamic. Developers need to create only one codebase for two platforms. Flutter apps require less testing and allow building captivating designs. An excellent technology for building an MVP.
Here’s what you need to know about the mobile app development process
Building a mobile app requires teaming up with a company that specializes in the right technologies. Sometimes, the best technology providers might be located far away.
But it’s worth to outsource development to offshore development teams. Most of the time, they have the experience and know-how to manage remote collaborations and offer example expertise in areas ranging from product development to user experience (UX).
We provide dedicated mobile teams for clients who need specific support at the mature stage of application development. Our experts often become part of the client’s team and take full responsibility for a part of a particular process or development phase.
We deliver developers with senior or lead experience in a specific business domain. We always set up team with team members who have commercial experience in the technologies: they know their strengths, limitations, and are able to provide advice to the client.
How to manage remote mobile development teams
At Codete, we have a lot of experience in delivering mobile application projects for remote clients. Here are a few battle-tested tactics for managing remote mobile development teams:
- We take full responsibility for the process entrusted to us, both from the perspective of technology and development management.
- We implement tasks defined by our clients, providing suggestions and consulting services.
- We guarantee high-quality service and domain knowledge required for setting up a dedicated teams of tech consultants.
- We provide developers on flexible terms and manage resources internally to ensure optimal support, depending on the work-packaging changes. We scale teams both up and down depending on project requirements.
- Experienced software development companies provide their clients not only with skilled developers, but also project managers who act as process guardians, make sure the team works smoothly, and serve as the bridge between the app development team and the client.
- A project manager has all the info about the product, its end-user, and the business to answer the development team’s questions.
- The same person will also keep in touch with the client to keep them posted about the project’s progress and potential setbacks they might be encountering.
- Another responsibility of our project manager is the organization of tasks and making sure all deadlines are met.
- Finally, experienced project managers are skilled strategists and can offer a lot of insight into what makes sense for the product or even the entire business.
- It’s good to be clear on the WHAT, but leave the HOW to the team – let the team work on your mobile app by following their proven processes. If you want the development team to be genuinely involved in the project, you need to give them the freedom to figure out the best solutions for the product.
- Make sure that the team understands these three things:
- The problem the mobile app solves (and what features it requires to do that),
- The people it solves the problem for (and what kind of user experience the product needs to deliver to them),
- Your business goals.
- Outline the workflow and assign responsibilities – do that right at the beginning. Every team member needs to know what their role in the project is and what everyone else is working on. You should also come up with a way to ensure they’re all up to speed with each other’s progress – project management tools like Jira or Trello help to maintain that type of transparency.
- Keep the communication lines open – and educate the team about the most suitable communication methods for specific occasions. For example, quick questions work better on instant messaging applications like Slack rather than email.
Launch your mobile app development in Poland
Poland is a Central European tech capital bursting with talented development teams that realize projects for clients from all over the world. At Codete, we combine technical know-how with Western professional standards and fluent communication in English to address the challenges that arise in mobile app development.
Do you have an idea for a mobile application? Get in touch with our consultants; we have helped clients from multiple sectors to streamline their operations and boost revenue with mobile technologies.